Spring is in the air here in Frederick, and if you are like a lot of people, you will have the urge to do a deep house cleaning before the warm weather hits. I’ve created a list that you can work down (or of course, you can call us or email us to do these items for you)! It feels so good to get that “winter” out of the house and get your home fresh and clean so you can spend time outside in the warmer weather months.
Our Best Spring Cleaning Tips
- Blind dusting-we take a small round brush attachment to our canister vacuum and vacuum each slat to the blind. For “sticky” dust, try spraying your attachment with a little Pledge.
- Take apart your sofa and vacuum all sides. To freshen it up a bit, try sprinkling baking soda on it before vacuuming.
- Scrub the bathroom walls. All the sticky humidity can take its toll on the walls. We like to mix up a bucket of warm water and Mr. Clean to wash down the bathroom walls.
- While you clean the ceiling fans, change the rotation of them. Did you know that in the winter you should have your fan going clockwise and in the warmer months, you should have them going counter clockwise? To remove the dust from the ceiling fans, we take a cloth and dry dust it first, then we wipe the fan blades clean with dust spray.
- Wash down the fronts of the bathroom and kitchen cabinets. Use a little dishsoap and warm water to do this chore!
- Vacuum and wipe down the woodwork in your home. We vacuum all the woodwork first and then use a magic eraser to wipe it clean. This can really make a difference in your home! It is a good way to prepare your home to paint as well, but you might find after doing this, it doesn’t need painting!
- Wash the windows. This is a chore that we do all by itself. Use a squigee whenever you can as they work best. It’s also good to do this on a cloudy day. Sometimes the sun can make the cleaner evaporate way too fast. I like to use Pledge on the interior windowsills as it loosens up all the grime to be vacuumed clean.
- Clean all the light fixtures in your home. Some light fixtures can be put into the dishwasher on the gentle cycle while others you’ll just need to wash down the old-fashioned way.
- Launder all the bedskirts and comforters in your home. And while you are doing that, it would be a good time to clean out under the bed!
- Lastly, it’s a good time to clean the inside of the refrigerator and oven. If you have a self-cleaning oven, this is easy! I always like to be home though when I run the self-cleaning oven. I have heard sometimes that fires have started from self cleaning ovens. :0
I hope this list motivates you to do the spring cleaning. Don’t forget, we are always here to do these items as well for you!