School is back and now is the time to get your home in order for the fast approaching holiday season. Yes, it’s only August but the holidays will be here before the blink of an eye and the last thing you want to do is worry about is deep cleaning your home. If you start now, your home will be ready and you will feel completely in control! Try taking it day by day or week by week, doing a little bit every day. Here is a good deep cleaning list to work down at your own pace! (Or, of course you can always have us do it!)
1. Steam clean the carpets. If you have kids at home and they have been home all summer, you know those carpets are a mess! (This is not something we offer but can refer you to a great carpet cleaning company.)
2. Deep clean the inside of the fridge. Throw out all the old food and take that fridge apart to clean all the nooks and crannies. You’ll be amazed of what is lurking in there. Put a box of baking soda in there to absorb the odors when you are done.
3. Wash down the bathroom walls. All that humidity can really do a number on your bathroom walls. I love to use hot water with Mr. Clean and wash down the walls. It smells so good!
4. Wash down your wood doors and wood baseboards in the home. They will look freshly painted!
5. Window cleaning! This can be slightly time consuming, but do this on a cloudy day with a squeegee and the time will go by much faster. If you are really motivated, take the screens out and wash those down too! If you have a lot of windows, do half one day and half another day.
6. Vacuum/remove dust on the blinds or curtains. You will most likely be able to see how dirty they are when the light streams in (and so will others-yikes!)
7. Degrease the banisters on the stairwells. It’s truly amazing how very dirty these can get. Check for fingerprints on the stairwell walls too!
8. The inside of the oven. This will be so easy if you have a self cleaning oven but not so much if you don’t.
9. Deep clean the laundry room. It’s probably kind of dusty in there more than anything. Perhaps the washer and dryer need to be washed down. You can get crazy and use a magic eraser to scrub the inside of the washer if you want!
10. Vacuum the inside and outside of the upholstered furniture. You know what I’m talking about with kids home all summer!
11. Wash down all the trash cans in the home and then put a liner in them to keep them clean.
12. And don’t forget the “normal” maintenance cleaning of the kitchen, bathrooms, vacuuming and mopping!
Happy Cleaning! When Thanksgiving and Christmas are here, all you’ll have to think of is cooking and shopping, hooray!